martes, 17 de enero de 2012

Santiago City!

Santiago…it´s difficult to talk about this city because I love it and hate it at the same time. I love that it is fast, demanding city that has personal force and entrenched bohemian life. Santiago by night is fascinating, especially if you´re on a balcony. Nightlife in Santiago is from Monday to Sunday. Another thing I like and I don´t enjoy enough are the cultural scenes in the communities. I also love that everyone plays sports. In my community the number of people playing outside has increased notably because of the construction of a bike path.


But it is a challenge to live in a city with so many difficulties. I grew up in a quiet neighborhood with a high school near the house. I am very grateful to my parents for having given me such a peaceful childhood, far from noise, crowds, and those awful malls. Clearly life in this city is much more difficult than in other cities in Chile, especially if you´re salary is low (in other cities food is cheaper, for example). It is difficult to live in Santiago because the work day is so long and everyone always looks tired. In the summer it´s very hot and in the winter it´s very cold. Everything is far apart and public transportation, like Transantiago, is not efficient. The metro offers better service but it is disgusting during rush hour. Not to mention nose and environmental pollution and crime.


To improve this city, housing policy would have to change completely. No more construction. Every time we are left with fewer green spaces and more buildings and malls. More bikepaths would have to be built and the streets would have to be widened to avoid congestion. I love the idea of putting exercise machines on the plazas and parks. In my neighborhood they work great.


I would tell visitors to get a good map, bring clothes for four seasons if they´re coming for a long time, not to visit dangerous areas, watch out for their things, and be careful of lying Chileans (fraudulent taxis, ¨students¨ asking for money). But above all, if you can find entertaining Chileans, I would encourage visitors to follow their rhythm, and surely you will have a good time.

1 comentario:

  1. I agree with you, some days I hate this city and others I really love it, its a complicated relationship...

    ResponderEliminar