jueves, 10 de noviembre de 2011

I love Santiago City!

I could talk about many really nice places located here in Santiago. However, I will talk about a place that is not so nice, but is very special for me, " La Piojera ". This is an old and well known bar from Chinatown, very near Mapocho station in the commune of Santiago. It is located in Aillavilu street  almost opposite of the " Mercado Central ". It is a famous " Picá " in Chile and it represents the typical gastronomy of the country, and is also a symbol of the " guachaca " culture. The " Piojera " term was used to refer yourself to any place that was notably unhealthy and many years ago this place was associated to alcoholism, tabacco, etc. It doesn't mean that now people don't drink alcohol ( it would be a big lie, you can just go by that area at about 10:00 o'clock at night  and notice the condition in what visitors get out of the bar ), but now this bar is also linked with the traditions of the Santiago working class people and at the same time with the republican and cultural history of the Chilean nation.
I always wanted to go to that place, until I finally got the opportunity to go with some friends of mine. On these last months I have been there in different occasions with my boyfriend. We met exactly in another place of that same area, but this one represents the " huachaca " culture, it's called " Las Tejas ". That kind of popular urban culture really keeps us close together. I love to visit that kind of places because of the gastronomy ( such as chorrillanas, perniles, among others ) and alcoholic beverages like the " terremoto " that is my favorite drink. I love this place because it is very friendly and inviting, I always end up meeting new people, and it is so fabulous that in just one place you can bring together poets, musicians, workers, students from different universities, professionals, office workers, politicians, and even people of the ostentation.

4 comentarios:

  1. La piojera!!!!

    Still do not know this place, I'm going for some years but have not gone xD

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I looooove La Piojera, it's a great place, and I love Santiago too :)

    ResponderEliminar
  3. "La piojera" is an excellent place to share the "terremoto" with friends. I have good memories...

    ResponderEliminar
  4. You love Santiago and I hate it! jojojo
    Anywere, La Piojera is cool, is a tradition :]

    ResponderEliminar